Marine 3 Fire
Due to the lack of wetting and emulsification properties, water is not really suitable for Fire Fighting
- Fine dusts, carbon and oil based materials floats on water surface
- With the addition of more water, materials will continue to float on the water surface
- The water surface tension prevents and limits the integration of oil-based material and carbon into water
- On combustion, the materials will continue to burn whilst floating, even when more water is added
- When material is burning, a carbon surface is formed and this layer reduce water penetration to allow for re-combustion
Reference: Tyre Fire
- In this trial, it took nearly 10 minutes to extinguish this fire and 3000 liters of water was used.
- We then used 7 liters of M3T in a tank of 3 000 liters of water to extinguish a similar fire. The fire was extinguished in just 28 seconds, using only 250 liters of water.